Thursday, March 5, 2009

My Doctor Hates Me

Yeah, so for the last few weeks my doctor has been saying that I need to deliver near my due date because of how big the baby has been measuring. Well this morning I had an appointment and asked him when I could be done with this pregnancy (considering I am due tomorrow). He said whenever I wanted, so I requested to be induced. 

In order to make sure I was suitable for induction he wanted to do a Non-Stress Test on the baby during my natural contractions and to check my cervix. This is a bit disconcerting for me because I am alone with Jordan in the office. So they tell me to undress from the waist down and they hook me up to the NST. This test at a minimum should last 10 minutes, which for Jordan is an eternity. So I am half nude, strapped to monitors, and my lovely boy opens the door and runs down the hall. What am I supposed to do?! I can tell you I am not running after him in my condition. Luckily the nurse had been standing right outside the door and was able to capture him for me. This happened several times during the visit! It was awesome. Then the doctor comes back in to check the results, and gives me attitude that Jordan has a pen (which I had given him to color with to try and distract him.) At this point I don't care anymore. He tells me to get dressed and to wait for him to talk about induction options, and confiscated my pen from Jordan! Seriously? He wasn't even coloring anything but his papers. Whatever. Maybe he had a bad day. So he comes back 10 minutes later to talk about why I want to be induced.

Now, I have several reasons for asking for this induction. Not only am I very pregnant, but my husband is going to be in Riverside for 2 days next week, and I don't want to risk going into labor while he is away (and driving our only car!), and I have already delivered a 9+ pound baby and it is safe to say this one will be comparable in size, if not bigger. Needless to say, induction is my best option at this point.

Well, after telling my doctor that I didn't want to deliver while my husband was away, he got all upset and said that it is so much better if I let him come naturally and that he prefers not to do inductions. Well, sorry buddy...my body, my baby. So I am tentatively scheduled for Sunday morning (if there are rooms available in Labor & Delivery). So wish me luck...that I go into labor before then! Best doctor's visit ever.

No comments: